Alright, good stuff.
What works very well 👏
- Cillian "Now I am become Oppenheimer" Murphy.
- The representation of guilt. Magnificent demonstration of "show, don't tell". The speech scene is brilliant; especially with the public thumping being a leitmotiv of anxiety before the actual scene.
- As a science enthusiast, getting to see different scientists of this era as various characters is like watching new superheros being introduced in the Avengers; very exciting! Although my man Feynman could have been more than an extra. 😢
- The accuracy of the screenplay in comparison to the biography I've read.
- Me having tachycardia during the introduction the scene. Holly shit.
- 3 hours passes by like a bang! 🤭
What works less well 🤨
- First and final act being feature-length trailers. establishing shot of some city CUT TO oppenheimer in his bed thinking about the universe VOICE-OVER you should move to some other city to study whatever CUT TO establishing shot of other city CUT TO weird-ass shot of some sparkly universe stuff apparently made without CGI MUSIC GOES BRRR. Yo please let me breathe, what about you insert some actual scene in there.
- <spoiler>The explosion itself gives no sense of scale whatsoever. All information I'm getting is that it was very bright; there was fire in the sky; light is faster than sound. Feynman's written report in Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman is more thrilling than the movie's depiction.</spoiler>
- The whole atmosphere ignition shenanigans blown out of proportion.
- Einstein just fucking spawning in some front-yard to deliver quick life advice. 😂